Sunday, November 30, 2008

Krampus Laufen

Sunday, November 30, 2008
Tonight we have seen something I don't think we will ever see in New Zealand! We went to see the Krampus Laufen. For those of you that know the festival of St Nicholas on December and his sidekick Black Peter. Well in the mountain regions of Austria - that is near Reinhold's home town of Salzburg the Black Peter takes the form of a Krampus. A scary monster that is meant to punish the naughty children. So in the days before St Nicholas Day of 6 December the Krampus run through the town and scare the children. It has been a little sanitised now and they go through the streets like a Santa Parade but the masks are really grotesque and they go up to the children and hit them around the legs with a switch which I can confirm does hurt cos I got hit twice!! Helen Clark and Sue Bradford would not be amused but the children I saw seemed to enjoy it and egged the Krampus on to come and hit them?! There is a lot I don't understand but I can see a lot comes from the history. Things go a long way back here and change slowly. All part of the travelling learning experience. I also got to meet St Nicholas and shake his hand so maybe I have been good and will get a Christmas present!!

http:wikipedia.org/Krampus

0 Leave ur comment here :

 
◄Design by Pocket